Who doesn’t love cherry pie? Who doesn’t love a campfire? I’m pretty sure they both provide the same amount of comfort. This recipe will allow you to combine the two and instantly be happy! Say hello to our Mountain Cherry Pie recipe!
- Loaf of bread (we used simple white bread).
- Unsalted butter
- Canned cherry pie filling
- Whipped cream cheese (can use regular, whipped is just easier to spread).
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch powder (or cinnamon and sugar mixed).
- Cast iron pie iron.
- Remove edges from each piece of bread.
- Press down to flatten the bread (see photo below).
- Scoop about two tablespoonfuls of cherry filling into a piece of bread.
- Scrape cream cheese on second piece of bread.
- Press together and pinch edges.
- Butter the pie iron.
- Sprinkle cinnamon flavoring on both sides.
- Place into pie iron and close.
- Hold over the campfire for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until brown (ours was over an open flame, not just got coals).
- Open pie iron and enjoy like a sandwich!
This is a simple recipe that the kids love, and it gets them beyond the normal “Can we roast marshmallows tonight?!” They’re not hard to make and they don’t require a ton of ingredients. Plus, that pie iron is useful for making plenty of other recipes, as well. The Mountain Cherry Pies were an instant hit with our family the moment we made them, because they’re just so dang tasty. Let us know how you like them in the comments and go check our quick shorts on how to make them on Instagram and YouTube!